When you're getting started out with customer research it can be difficult to get people to open up to speak about their experiences.
This post has a set of do's & don'ts, validating statements & questions taken directly from Michele Hansen's amazing book, Deploy Empathy. It'll guide you to being an effective customer researcher.
Do's & don'ts
- Use a gentle tone of voice
- Validate them
- Leave pauses for them to fill
- Mirror and summarize their words
- Don’t interrupt
- Use simple wording
- Ask for clarification (even when you don’t need it)
- Don’t explain anything
- Don’t negate them in any way
- They’re the experts of their own experience - let them be the expert
- Use their words and pronunciation
- Ask about time and money already spent
- Use think instead of feel
- That makes sense.
- I can see why you’d do it that way.
- I can see what you’re saying.
- It makes sense that you think that.
- It makes sense that you do it that way.
- It sounds like a lot goes into that.
Questions to ask around the emotional dimension
- It sounds like that’s frustrating/time-consuming/challenging.
- Can you help me understand what went through your mind when [X]?
Process related questions
- I’m interested to hear more about how you came to doing it that way.
- Would you be able to walk me through the context behind that?
- It sounds like you think that could be improved.
- Can you tell me more about [X]?
- It sounds like there are several steps involved. I’m curious, can you walk me through them?
- This indie hacker's post has more details.
Navigate the Product Development Jungle
I turn product theory into practice and write about it. Subscribe to my personal newsletter and receive crisp insights and practical guides on user research, product strategy, and ideation.
Articles read by product leaders in companies like Productboard, HP, Monzo, and more.
No Fluff. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Motivators that help you create and sell products (beyond functionality)
Learn how to identify and incorporate emotional and social motivators into your product development and sales strategy....Read more
9 Prompts Every User Researcher Should Know
Get tips to enhance your workflow and improve the efficiency of your research using ChatGPT....Read more
ChatGPT: A Guide To Understanding Your Market Without Customer Contact
Learn where to find valuable customer data, what to extract, and how to quickly analyze it using review websites and Chat GPT. Don't waste time; get the insights you need to confidently start building and marketing your startup today....Read more